121 Lincoln Way East
(Southeast corner of Lincoln Way and First Southeast)
For three-quarters of a century, the Massillon Museum has collected, preserved, and exhibited art and local history. Among more than 110,000 diverse objects in the collection are signed Tiffany goblets, a Renoir drawing, a 14th-century wedding chest, a Massillon-manufactured car, a steam engine, the original map of Massillon, Tommy Henrich’s 1951 Yankees road jersey, and Oscar the Skeleton. Because of Massillon’s rich photographic history, resulting in more than 60,000 images in the permanent collection, visitors will always see photographs. The Immel Circus, a 100-foot-square miniature circus lot including 2,620 figures hand-carved by Massillon dentist Dr. Robert Immel, is a popular permanent display. Rotating exhibitions in the first and second floor galleries assure that visitors see unexpected art and history treasures each time they arrive. A visit to the Massillon Museum is always free. For hours, exhibitions, and a calendar of events, visitmassillonmuseum.org.
Spring Hill Historic Home
1401 Spring Hill Lane Northeast
(East side of Wales Road at the intersection of Lake Avenue Northeast)
New Englanders Thomas and Charity Rotch built their Spring Hill home in 1821 just outside the town of Kendal which Rotch had founded in 1812. They raised Merino sheep and built a mill on the bubbling Sippo Creek to process the fine wool they produced. Their Quaker faith led them to open their farm as a station on the Underground Railroad. Today Spring Hill is recognized by the National Park Service as part of their National Road to Freedom, and local actors reenact the fugitive slaves’ experience. Visitors who tour the home enjoy the “Secret Stairway,” the bee room, the wig and false teeth drawers, a tiny playroom, and the sugar barrels that disguised the opening to the hiding place for runaways. The springhouse, smokehouse, wool house, a newer milkhouse, gardens, and a wooded trail are part of Spring Hill’s outdoor ambiance. Spring Hill, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is open to the public during the summer and for special events throughout the year. For hours, a calendar of events, and fees, visitwww.springhillhistorichome.org
210 Fourth Street Northeast
(Northeast corner of Fourth Street and North Avenue Northeast)
Massillon’s grandest mansion, Five Oaks, is now the home of Massillon Woman’s Club. Completed in 1894 at a cost of more than $200,000, the home is exquisite with a large interior skylighted Tiffany window, a Moroccan leather billiards room, gold-leaf-adorned walls, carved woodwork, and a grand staircase. The opulent lifestyle of the McClymonds family is evident throughout the stone structure, where the family often entertained President McKinley. Designed by Cleveland architect Charles F. Schweinfurth, it is a model of his style: mountainous roofs, towering chimneys, a massive corner tower, a large arched portico, and sculpture inside and out. Five Oaks was listed individually on the National Register in 1973, and it is part of the Fourth Street Historic District, which was listed on the National Register nine years later. For information about tours and special events, call 330.833.4896.
Lions Lincoln Theatre
156 Lincoln Way East
(North side of Lincoln Way between First and Second Streets Northeast)
Built in 1915, the Lincoln Theatre has come full circle. It first showed silent films to the music of its $5,000 pipe organ. Today it shows classic films and hosts live music and drama on its stage. Owned and operated by Massillon Lions Club, the vintage movie house offers great entertainment for old-fashioned prices. Imagine a big-screen movie, popcorn, and a beverage for less than $5! For more information, visitlionslincolntheatre.com.
Ohio Society of Military History
316 Lincoln Way East
(North side of Lincoln Way between Third and Fourth Streets Northeast)
The Ohio Society of Military History exhibits and preserves uniforms, medals, military history, and memorabilia representing Ohio veterans from all wars. Themed exhibits change several times a year. The display area and reference library may be visited for free (donations accepted). For hours of operation and information, call 330.832.5553.
Historic Fourth Street
Fourth Street Northeast between Lincoln Way East and Cherry Road Northeast
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Massillon’s Historic Fourth Street District is a six-block long brick-paved, tree-lined street lined with mansions spanning a century of architectural excellence and historic impact. Some were stations on the Underground Railroad, several have ballrooms where President McKinley danced alongside Massillon’s social elite, and one was owned by the famous Gish sisters. For a detailed guidebook or a schedule of guided walking tours, visit margyvogt.com.
South side of Lincoln Way West between Erie and First Street Southwest
Seattle-based artist Eric Grohe has depicted an idealized image of the Ohio and Erie Canal as it ran through the city of Massillon, Ohio, between the years of 1827 and 1913. The canal was responsible for the rapid growth and economic development of the town during its early years. The canal made its way through Massillon just a few feet west of the mural wall. The warehouse that made the canal lucrative to the town stood on the east bank of the canal, directly in front of the mural wall.
A Century of Heroes
Northwest corner of Lincoln Way and First Street Northeast
For more than 100 years the Massillon Tigers have set the standard of excellence in high school football. Artist Eric Grohe, in 1994, paid tribute to the players, coaches, Tiger Swing Band, fans, and traditions that have contributed to the legend of the Washington High School team since the Tigers first took the field in 1894.
55 Diamond Court
Northeast corner of South Erie Street and Diamond Court
The third Massillon mural painted by Eric Grohe depicts an imaginary 1950s-era apartment building in Massillon, Ohio. He used many local citizens as models for this work of art. His trompe l’oeil style, using his excellent sense of perspective, tricks the viewer into believing that the scene is three-dimensional. Although the alley is quiet now, it was a bustling business area a century ago.
Southwest corner of North Erie Street and Federal Avenue
Massillon’s newest mural, “Valor,” by Navarre, Ohio, artists Larry and Monica Zink, highlights Congressional Medal of Honor recipients and veterans from the Massillon area representing the Revolutionary War through World War II.
Other Community Links/Attractions
|Stark County Convention & Visitors Bureau||Pro Football Hall of Fame||Stark Parks|
|MAPS Air Museum|